Osteoarthritis is defined as a degenerative disease that may occur in any synovial joint. Unlike acute diseases, Chicago osteoarthritis creeps up on a person. Osteoarthritis is generally seen on the knees, hip and joints of the hand. In the older population, or those 55 years old and above, an estimated 50% have osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis can be classified into two major categories:
1. Primary osteoarthritis – can be caused by undue and repetitious strain or can be hereditary
2. Secondary osteoarthritis – usually a result of prior trauma or injury.
The most common signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis in IL are:
1. Pain – is what usually brings the patient to look for treatment
2. Stiffness – of joints is a characteristic that is common in the morning
3. Swelling – goes hand in hand with continual inflammation
4. Crepitus – is a crackling sound made by bone surfaces rubbing together and there is lessened lubrication
The following remedies at Chicago Chiropractor work for osteoarthritis:
1. Weight loss – to reduce stress on weight bearing joints
2. Exercise – for strong muscles and growth of cartilage
3. Diet – include sufficient amount of calcium, Glucosamine sulfate, Chondroitin sulfate, and vitamins C & D
4. Heat – the right amount of heat may allay the signs and symptoms of stiffness and pain
Your Chiropractor, Dr. Jason Fennema DC, has the proper skills and training to perform a complete history and examination on you, as well as orthopaedic and neurological testing and radiograms for correctly diagnosing your osteoarthritis and its extent. Their next step would be to develop a therapeutic management plan aimed at your specific case and tailor-made to fit your needs.